Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In which Papa Cat seizes the day. Again.


Any long-time readers might remember this post from five years ago, when my dad, having blown out the candles on his 80th birthday cake, said 'Right: now I'm striking out for 85.'

Today's the day.

I spoke to him on the phone earlier: he was looking forward to a fancy lunch out with his daughters, followed my garbled account of my not-yet-written conference paper and asked a couple of pertinent questions, reassured me that I would get everything done, asked me what was coming up for Writers' Week, and gave me a thorough and lively description of Lleyton Hewitt's commentating skills as demonstrated during the Australian Open men's final ('I mean, I can't stand the little bastard, but he did a fantastic job') and a quick rundown on the latest in Adelaide's bikie wars. Still driving; stayed up with me last week till after 1 am watching the tennis, with no ill effects the next day; blood pressure 120/70 and the cardiologist doesn't want to see him for another twelve months.

Here he is, with the dog of the moment, 65 years ago.



15 comments:

Deborah said...

Hooray indeed. Congratulations to Papa Cat. And many happy returns.

Elephant's Child said...

Many happy returns to Papa Cat. How lovely that he is still not only active, but engaged with the world.

elsewhere said...

Happy birthday, Kerryn's pa! What a handsome young man! Guess he's striking out for 90 now.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Thanks all, I will tell him that my friends on the interwebz wish him a happy birthday. El, I expect him to say exactly that at some point during today's festivities.

Ampersand Duck said...

Watta man, watta man, watta man, watta mighty fine man (he's a really really good man, yeah)

Happy birthday Papa Cat!

Lord Sedgwick said...

Your Dad and I (albeit I'm 20 years in his wake) appear share the same opinion of LLLLeyton.

He has fine tennis skills and even greater fighting skills. Not so good etiquette skills. However his commentary skills knock those of that perennial and pointless commentator Jim 'it's really all about me making references to moi' Courier into a backwards worn cocked peaked titfer.

May he blow out many more candles.

paul walter said...

Good luck to him, too!

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday to Papa Cat for Wednesday. I hope he still gets a kick out of strangers in the internet cheering him on.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a 50-something person with an ailing parent, it's a joy to read that your father remains engaged with our world. That's both reassurance for the present and hope for the future.

Love the photo: dad & dog both look pleased to be in the company of each other. Best birthday wishes to Papa Cat.

TFA

Frances said...

That is such an iconic photo. It could represent the Australian man of his generation: wonderful.

Anonymous said...

All of the above, Kerryn. Happy birthday to your dad. Delia

David Irving (no relation) said...

Happy Birthday to your dada.

Be encouraged by the staistic that anyone alive today is more likely than not to still be alive in 2 1/2 years' time.

David Irving (no relation) said...

Gak! Typo! Meant dad.

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

'dada' is also appropriate, believe me. He definitely has a surreal edge.

Jan Merry said...

Sorry this is so late but I have just come across this post. I had to comment on the photo. It is just such an Australian picture, I love it. Yes, there are gum trees and faded grass and I'm sure the sky is blue, but the essence is also in the lively stance of that handsome young man, the wide grin, the easy embrace of the dog. Thanks. http://janmerryreadersandwriters.blogspot.co.uk/